"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail."

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Superstars in La Loche

I've been focusing too much lately on the negative. No students or hardly any students in the classroom. Too many "F"'s on my student roster. Students sleeping, not working. But . . . today . . . something changed. I teach a block class which means I teach a class for two periods a day and I only have them for 1/4 of the year. The class began in April after we returned from our Easter Break. During the last month and a half these students have been working their butts off. I do only get 4-5 students out of 20ish on my class list but those 4-5 students work hard every day. They are one of the only classes who have actually handed assignments in on time and they have put so much effort into the work they complete. I hear often "Ms. Greensides, this is so hard!" I always reply "it's not suppose to be easy." Today, a pretty big assignment was due ... and ... I got three handed in. This may not seem like a big deal but it is a HUGE deal!! Despite the attendance issues, despite the lack of effort from some students, and despite some of the hardships ... this class makes it all worth it. They are proof that simply showing up and doing the work, even when it's hard, can produce amazing results. They are superstars!

No comments:

Post a Comment