"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail."

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, September 18, 2009

I Welcome the Weekend with Open Arms!

Today is Friday.  It is the beginning of the weekend and two days of peace and relaxation are to follow.  My week was not good but it was not terrible either.  There were some moments where I wanted to pull my hair out and there were moments when I looked at my students with pride and wonderment.  I have to ask (although I'm pretty sure I know the answer), does it get any easier?  Will there ever be a day when everything falls magically into place?  The theme of perfect and easy is kinda on my mind right now.  I'm doing a novel study with my classes.  We're reading The Giver by Lois Lowry and we're discussing the positives and the negatives of the theme utopia.  When I read to my students every day I can't help to envision my utopia ... my perfect world ... or at least my perfect classroom.  I wonder, what if I could snap my fingers and the students would become perfect in every way ... would teaching become easier or would a new set of problems present themselves?  I have to admit, despite the challenges and the many, many rough days I wouldn't want things to be different.  Although the bad days might outnumber the good, I enjoy my students ... their humour, talent, and perseverance make the good days that much more special and make a new teacher beam with so much pride and admiration. 

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,

    As I was reading today's blog post everytime I thought of a response to your questions, you answered with what I was thing. I think having the challenges that you are having will only make you stronger as a teacher. When the day comes when you have your dream claas, you will remember your time in Laloch and be glad you have had these challenges.

    Just so you know, I do miss you. Saw your post on Facebook about missing home.

    Sherri

    ReplyDelete