"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail."

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Survival of the Fittest

I've had a lot of people ask me how my first week of teaching went.  I send my apologies to all of you who have asked me that .... I've needed time to decide how to respond or how best to describe the craziness I've experienced.  Teaching in Northern Saskatchewan is definitely different then teaching in small town Ontario.  Needless to say ... teacher's college did not prepare me for this.  In fact, I'm not even sure what I've been doing can even be classified as teaching ... at least not the kind of teaching that I can full heartedly be proud of.  How do you teach students who tell you off in another language while you are teaching?  How do you teach students who refuse to do anything that you ask of them?  How do you teach students who just don't care if they pass or fail?  I've changed my teaching strategies constantly throughout this week and I have not been able to find away to reach them.  I am the enemy.  I am the one who wants them to succeed.  I am the one who believes that they can succeed.  I am the one who knows how great they can be if they just try.  I was not naive of the situation when coming here but experiencing it has definitely been hard.  I have been tested.  I have cried many tears.  I have contemplated my future.  My goal:  I wish to be able to reach at least one student ... just one ... only one. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    It will get better. You have to remember that a lot of the students have gone through a lot in their lives and seen a lot of people come and go; school staff do not get respect automatically unfortunately. Building positive relationships is the key to success here and we need to be patient and in control of ourselves to get there. Your comments are not unlike the experiences of many teachers who come here; the key though is to hang on to the belief that you are making a difference in young lives. It may not of felt like it this week, but give it time. Remain positive and do your best! Hope the new week is better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you're finding it so difficult Sarah! I am sure though, that with time these kids will come to see that you are not the enemy but a caring and compassionate person who just wants to see them succeed. Remember to that socialization is just as important to teach them as the academics! So while you may feel that you aren't teaching them anything I would bet that they're learning more than you know just by watching you! Keep your head up, keep trying and never forget that if you need help you have a big support network of teachers there, and here, who are more than willing to help!

    ReplyDelete