"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail."

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, October 29, 2010

"Solidarity"

It's official - I'm hooked!

Tony Danza's show was on tonight and much like last week I found myself watching it. This week's episode was especially interesting. Mr. Danza found himself in the midst of teenage angst and without an outlet to release said teenage angst the outcome was chaos and turmoil. Simply put: teenagers were fighting with one another. I actually found myself a little jealous of the policies in place at this school. If students are caught misbehaving - fighting verbally and physically - they meet with a mediating team. The mediating team consists of a staff member, whose only job it is to mediate when problems arise, and a teacher (in this case, Mr. Danza). They sign a contract stating that they participated in the mediation. If they get into trouble again more serious consequences occur beginning with suspension. The episode tonight focused on Mr. Danza's desire to instill positive behavior in his students. Mr. Danza also tried very hard to let his students know that he understands and that he does, in fact, care. Tonight's show was definitely interesting but it was what he said at the very end of the episode that literally made me snap my head up from my computer and look up at the television screen. It was like I was hearing my own words spoken in a husky Italian accent. He said . . . "I'm not sure they want you to care." Interesting ...

No comments:

Post a Comment