"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail."

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, October 23, 2010

"Teach"

I watched Tony Danza's new show tonight called "Teach". The premise of this new reality television show is this: Tony Danza goes back to school to teach English to high school students. I have to be honest, it was really reassuring to watch him struggle in the classroom. It was hard not to compare his experiences with my own. Struggling with classroom management. Talking too much to students who were not listening. Fighting for student engagement. Fear of failing the kids. At one point in the show; however, Tony Danza "hooks" the students. After all of the struggle he sees some success. Watching Tony Danza's struggles and successes made me appreciate and cherish my own. It's corny, I know.

When I first started watching the show I thought ... "OMG" ... this may not be good for teachers. The show did; however, portray the tremendous devotion and hard work, extra hours, and all the time teachers take in their planning for the students. Most importantly, it showed how much teachers CARE about their students. I've only watched one episode so far but I think I'm hooked. I feel compelled to watch Tony Danza's teaching adventure. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment